Thursday, April 12, 2007

Stem Cell Slant

James Taranto is projecting in the Wall Street Journal's OpinionJournal today. He accuses The Times of London of slanting it's coverage of a recent breakthrough in stem cell therapy.

Taranto:

Diabetics using stem-cell therapy have been able to stop taking insulin injections for the first time, after their bodies started to produce the hormone naturally again," the Times of London reports. That's the first paragraph. In the eighth and ninth, we learn that this promising field of technology is under threat from "powerful critics":

Times of London:

Previous studies have suggested that stem-cell therapies offer huge potential to treat a variety of diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and motor neuron disease. A study by British scientists in November also reported that stem-cell injections could repair organ damage in heart attack victims.

But research using the most versatile kind of stem cells--those acquired from human embryos--is currently opposed by powerful critics, including President Bush.


Taranto:

So that means if Bush had his way, he would've stopped the new diabetic breakthrough? Uh, no, it turns out:

Times of London:

After stem cells had been harvested from their blood, they then underwent a mild form of chemotherapy to eliminate the white blood cells causing damage to the pancreas. They were then given transfusions of their own stem cells to help rebuild their immune systems.

Taranto:

So this story has nothing to do with embryonic stem cells. But the Times doesn't tell us that until paragraph No. 16."



Unfortunately for Mr. Taranto, most reader's will encounter paragraph 2 :

"In a breakthrough trial, 15 young patients with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes were given drugs to suppress their immune systems followed by transfusions of stem cells drawn from their own blood."

prior to reading paragraph 16.

The only blog inspired by a Bumper Sticker.

Comments on "Stem Cell Slant"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/09/2009 1:17 PM) : 

http://iac-phycis2.blogspot.com/
Introductory Astronomy, Cosmology, Physics

http://iac-phycis1.blogspot.com/

http://iac-phycis.blogspot.com/
Visit this Blog te LeaRN More , cool info and very helpfull, I Realy Enjoyed Reading this Blog, I hope u Enjoj To
http://iac-phycis2.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/23/2009 9:48 AM) : 

Pathology.org is the largest up to date informational database consisting of general health and disease information. The only way to combat disease and promote healthy living is to provide the public current information on health and diseases. Pathology.org consists of breaking news in the health world and offers the information needed to take preventive and combative measures to fight disease. Your website seems to be a very credible resource and would beneficial to us in the fight to combat the contraction and spread of disease. You can aid us in this fight by simply putting a banner or link up for us, making our site available to your vast public.To avoid spam please email me back with your blog/site's url so that we can list your blog/site as featured resource.

Title: Stem cell research or Pathology

Url: http://www.Pathology.org

 

Anonymous kamagra said ... (7/26/2011 4:51 AM) : 

Hi there, nice information provided. thanks for that. keep posting of blogs in the future. thanks once again..

 

Anonymous kamagra said ... (7/26/2011 4:52 AM) : 

Hi there, nice information provided. thanks for that. keep posting of blogs in the future. thanks once again..

 

Anonymous Free Credit Score said ... (8/03/2011 12:46 AM) : 

It's always my pleasure to read this type of stuff.I am very much interested in these types of topics and it's my habit to read this.

 

Anonymous xanax said ... (8/19/2011 11:31 PM) : 

Really you have done great job,There are may person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.I like this blog.

 

Anonymous Bimatoprost Online said ... (11/15/2011 6:32 AM) : 

Nice post..It was very beautiful....thanks..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/14/2018 1:48 PM) : 

I read few posts on this site and I conceive that your web site is very interesting..visit back my website http://www.jualjaketkulit.co.id

 

Blogger Alex said ... (2/28/2020 3:05 AM) : 

Thanks for the great tutorial. It is nice to go through the process at a high level.
stem cell treatment for osteoarthritis

 

Blogger TRISHA NELSON said ... (7/08/2020 7:18 PM) : 

Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by an American doctors but the best way to cure Herpes virus is by taking natural herbal mixed medicine for permanent treatment.I'm here to appreciate Dr James for using his herbal medicine to cure my herpes virus. Is about 3 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus inside of me and it have really really been a serious problem to me, I was so confused because I have been taking several drugs and injections to be cured but all of my effort was in vain, one morning I was browsing the internet then I saw several testimonies about Dr James herbal mix medicine, curing people from herpes virus / HIV AIDS and Immediately I contacted Dr James on his email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com. I told him about my problems and he tells me that I must be cured. He gave me instructions which I rightly followed, so he prepared his herbal mixed medicine and sent it to me through UPS SPEED POST, which I used (MORNING AND EVENING) for 2 weeks and I was cured. everything was like a dream to me and my herpes virus was permanently cured. Dr James thank you, if out here suffering from herpes virus or any KIND OF diseases LIKE... HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, CANCER,RECTUM EFFECTS, BOWEL OBSTRUCTION, HERPES, HEPATITIS A&B, CARDIAC DISEASES, CHRONIC DISEASES, YELLOW FEVER, EPILEPSY, LUPUS, STROKE, SPINAL CORD, ECZEMA, KIDNEY DISEASES, ACME, BACK PAIN, DENGUE SCHIZOPHRENIA, APOLLO,MULTIPLES SCLEROSIS, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, VAGINAL DISCHARGING, ARTHRITIS, MENINGITIS itchy' contact.Doctor James and be free from your diseases because I am a living testimony, Dr James, is honest herbalist doctor, he is also known as the Great herbal cure master for herbal root. Contact him now via his email: (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com) (whatsapp or call him on +2348152855846  

 

Blogger MAKSIM ALEK said ... (2/27/2021 12:04 AM) : 

Colorectal cancer, cancer of the large intestine, is the fourth most common cancer in North America. Many cases of colorectal cancer are associated with low levels of physical activity and with diets that are low in fruits and vegetables. Individuals with a family history of the disease have a higher risk. I crumble with this disease for 5 years also with a lot of scaring thought in my head because i was just waiting for death every day of my life until My Son came to me in the hospital explaining to me that he has find a herbal healer from Nigeria to cure my Colo-Rectal Cancer,I was so shocked with the ideal also i was excited inside of me.My son asked me to let us give him a try because we have really heard a lot of scammer pretending to cure all sort of diseases with herbal medicine and some of them never get a positive result at the end of it all but we was very confident on this herbal doctor,like i said we give him a try and he sent me a herbal medicine to drink for three weeks, Sincerely I'm telling you today I' alive and healthy no more laying on sick bed,No more Colo-Rectal Cancer.I'm sharing this testimony on here for people who are sick to contact this Wonderful man,His name is Dr Itua.And His contact Whatsapp_+2348149277967____Email_drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.
He can cure those diseases like:
Bladder cancer
Breast cancer
Colorectal cancer
Kidney cancer
Leukemia
Lung cancer
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
Prostate cancer
Skin cancer
Uterine cancer
Hiv/Aids
Stroke
Herpes
Hepatitis
Love Spell
Diabetes

 

post a comment
CrispAds Blog Ads

Google
Enter a long URL to make tiny: